Zachery Calahan

WIFI Not Working Correctly

9 posts in this topic

Recently I went on amazon to buy a wireless card, and got the Wireless N PCI-E Adapter RNX-N250PCe (Label on the box). After using it I seem to find that my computer is connected to the network, but not the internet. Here is what I have done so far.

1. Turned off my firewall/reset it
  2. Reinstall drivers. (I found out that there is no driver to my PCI Simple Communications Controller. I have no idea how to fix that...)
  3. Uninstall and reinstall drivers
  4. Re-seat the card in the computer
  5. Change the channel of the router
  6. Change the mode to 802.11b/g/n
  7. Rebooting the router

I have these specs. (The computer was originally a Gateway - GT5628, but I replaced some parts.)

• EVGA GTX 730
  • 6GB of RAM
  • DG33SXG2 Motherboard
  • Wireless N PCI-E Adapter RNX-N250PCe
  • Inter Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40 GHz

If anyone could please help me, that would be fantastic!

Well hello! Zachery Calahan Welcome to WF!

Unfortunately replacing a network adapter to update and of course upgrade things can be a real annoyance at times but not as complicated as you may think! The first question I would have for you would be which OS or Operating System are you presently working with? The name "Gateway" immediately implies you have a Windows machine but as many of us only know too well OSs can be changed even on OEM type equipment.

The main reason is for diagnosing the particular networking issue since each OS will tend to have a particular method to resolve these types of issues rather quickly in fact! Besides the OS however the type of internet connection you have would be a plus as well in finding out what will get you back online! Believe me when I say the solution will prove to be so simple your head will spin! It's just an annoyance each time following any type of upgrade we all have to put up with.

What happens if you open a command prompt and type these and hit enter after each?

ping 127.0.0.1

ping 8.8.8.8

ping google.com

I am currently uding only Win10. I have looked up many websites on my phone, and followed each of them to no result. I personally think it has something to do with the PCI Simple Communications Controler.

Posted (edited)

Have you looked up the manufacturer's support site at all? If the model information and number match was is seen on the Amazon link here you picked an older adapter that lacks updated drivers for Windows 8.1/10 only seeing XP, Vista, 7, and 8 not 8.1 which would usually work out on 10 being the immediately seen previous version.  https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-802-11N-Express-Wireless-RNX-N250PCe/dp/B006WWMZSK

Rosewill has their own driver detection tool you could try and see if that finds a set that works? The download link for that as well as the driver sets available three zip files don't include a "VT 3" version since V1 shows an unspecified and XP, Vista, 7 32/64bit, and a V2 for W8.  http://driversdownloader.com/rosewill-drivers/rosewill-wireless-adapters-rnx-n250pce

Now there are a few things you can try in additional to running the tool which are found in the Control Panel under the Network & Sharing section as well as using the manual command line option in an elevated command prompt windows in order to 1) type the command "IPCONFIG /ALL" not requited to be in upper or lower case there. 2) after hitting enter for the first command the information comes up full on how things are configured. You then type the "IPCONFIG /RELEASE" command to release the existing IP configuration which isn't working. 3) lastly you have the third command of either "IPCONFIG /RENEW" or going with the "IPCONFIG /DNSFLUSH" command to clear out the existing DNS cache which can often hold things up! You can look all those over at the MS Technet library page for this: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490921.aspx

As for the CP>Network & Sharing in 10 as well as going back to 7 one thing done here often between both a desktop on the 7 side of the dual with 10 where a usb WiFi adapter allows 7 to connect through an additional Cisco Linksys router but no drivers for 8 or newer leaving the Cat 5 ethernet hardwired set up for 10 you would take a look under the Advanced sharing settings sub section there and see if the "Turn on network discovery" is set to on not the off and you may have to op for the "Turn off files and printer sharing" for the time being if that is found on. You may find that the"Turn on password protected sharing" option will need to on as well since you are on a home network not an isolated stand alone hardwired direct to the modem or modem/router combo depending how you are set up.

One thing I should add in here is the possible need to simply replace that particular adapter and go with one that does indicate support for W10. At Amazon I filtered all the used and non 10 capable items you can refer if needed.  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_condition-type_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Apcie+wireless+network+adapter+windows+10%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224371011&keywords=pcie+wireless+network+adapter+windows+10&ie=UTF8&qid=1491109375&rnid=2224369011

Edited by Night Hawk

And one more link to add is a much more common place most will recognize quickly for pc components being Newegg. Whenever I needed parts for a new custom build or wanted to upgrade any network type gear that would be the first stop. Filtering out Windows 8 and other older adapters to focus strictly on Windows 10 with the list showing backwards to XP, Vista, 7, 8 32/64 support on most of the 14 PCIe type adapters found at: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=wireless+adapter+supports+windows+10&N=100158094 600014297&isNodeId=1

Instead of going out to buy a new card, (I am always short on money myself.) I decided it would be a great idea to just install Win7 instead of Win10. I did it for a whole day, but now it works! Totally worth the effort.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well that is an option as well. Here I run with both 7 and 10 on custom builds testing newer builds on the second test machine at times. So far other then that usb WiFi adapter not seeing anything past 7 for support and 10 requiring hard wired connections for the time being that second desktop originally set up as a portable desktop simply sits there in one place rather then being mobile from one room to another due to the need for a new WiFi adapter as well as likely requiring a new router as well to match things up.

To solve a portability problem I first ended up buying a 7 laptop upgraded later to 10 and when the display failed possibly back light went out I ended up replacing that a year ago with a then brand new 10 laptop which can go anywhere where you can get free WiFi that is. There are the likes and dislikes obviously when trying to compare the different versions of Windows as well as OSs in general. You simply have to make the decision that suits your needs the best. 7 will still be seeing support until 2020 so you don't have to panic about losing that right away.

Should I mark this thread solved? Or would you rather it be kept open for any further questions?

Edited by Night Hawk

I have no further questions, and I'm sure this will help anyone with the same problem. 

1 person likes this