RS13

Undoing a Registry Edit

4 posts in this topic

I have a problem and I've been told I can fix this by adding a dword and value to the registry.

I'm hesitant to do this unless I know I can undo it in case it doesn't work.  Would I need to do anything more than simply delete the added dword?  If so, can you say what our does it vary depending on what is being altered? Thanks

"...dword and value to the registry." Welcome to WF! RS13 by the way but.... "...dword and value to the registry." is corrected by "DWord Value added to the System Registry". "DWord" is the correct terminology there!

Now the question I am required to ask here is... "Which DWord registry value are you looking to delete?"??? Simply going into..??? Which OS to delete.. ? What Now? Without any bearings cannot make any sense! A More "Specific" refenence of just what you are trying or would be trying to accomplish with a "System Registry Edit" is what will be needed. I'm sorry but you're post here lacks detail as far as the question you are trying to ask and will require some additional details as to what you are looking to accomplish! If you made an edit and now regret a mistake further explanation on just what you were trying to edit....? would be a possible large factor in finding a solution to what you are asking about.

I wasn't asking about how to undo a specific registry edit, but how to undo them in general.  Obviously, I had a specific issue in mind, but I've got that sorted.

With the Registry itself you simply will not be able to find a "FIX ALL IN ONE SHOT" type of solution! And it will not make one difference of which version of Windows you are running going all the way to the 3x, 9x Fat dominated platform either. The registry itself is a "Multitude of Branch offs" where each "HIVE" as the common term is applied goes is separate.

The System Registry has too many divisions for any one "ONE CURES ALL" type of solution and that is why each individual value has to be looked at separately! I know you were looking for the one fixes all solution BUT it does not exist! We have to take a look at each individual reg value and see what was changed as well as how to use things like the System Restore feature when possible to restore the entire registry back to what it was on a previous date.  I can only say that MS did look at many things and finally after XP came up with.. The "System Restoration" feature first seen in Vista and onto Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and now Windows 10. If you have a "Specific" registry value that needs changing back to the default that is never a problem by simply taking a look at the registry of Any machine that was never touched to see where the change was made.

Windows does have the option of downloading and sharing the full content of the registry in it's present state by first backing the registry up and saving the backup as a file. You can then take the file and see it uploaded. The recommendations for what would need to be changed if no longer having any system restore points available could then be posted in replies.