Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Night Hawk

Talk about real Oldies! "Run Windows 3.1 in your browser"

15 posts in this topic

Ever like to see how a real "Golden Oldie" as far as Windows is concerned looks and feels like? Read the following article!

Run Windows 3.1 in your browser

By Benjamin Rubenstein,

16 hours ago(actually late 1/25/2010)

As seen on CrunchGear, Michael Vincent has made an awesome website for those who want to kick it oldschool. Whether you're old enough to remember using it, or too young to know what it is, Windows 3.1 was, undeniably, the turning point for Microsoft's Windows OS. While it didn't offer much in terms of new functionality over its predecessor, Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1 was the first widely used version of Microsoft's world dominating OS.

Michael's website is a way to look back into the days of Windows 3.1 without having to install a thing. It's a site that emulates the operating system, allowing you to explore it as if you had it installed on your own computer. However, there are a notable differences. The browser isn't really the same as it was back then, you don't actually get to experience the boot up process, and Windows 3.1 didn't come with links to all of Michael's websites. Still, it's a great little emulator.

Go ahead; try out Microsoft's never-too-old-to-forget, right-click-lacking version of Windows. . Oh, and to make it even better... Minesweeper works (see proof below). Just don't try the simultaneous right and left click trick. That'll throw you out of the emulator.

Requirements:

"Best viewed in Firefox 3.

IE 8, 7, and 6 acceptable.

Resolution of 1024x768 or greater recommended."

You can check out Michael's Windows 3.1 emulator at michaelv.org.

That was certainly a great find by the writer there at: http://www.neowin.net/news/run-windows-31-in-your-browser

:laugh: Great find there! How come i did not notice this Oldie Topic :woot:

You have to make time to find these golden oldies! laugh.pngwoot.pnglaugh.pngwoot.pnglaugh.pngwoot.png

Having started off with 3.1 and Dos I couldn't help taking notice of this when runng acrossed it! woot.png It certainly brought back some memories upon seeing this for sure! biggrin.png

I was 10 when i saw PC for the first time :D It was Windows 98 and NT then :D<br>

Around then you would still seen some 3.1, 3.11, NT 3.1, 4.0, and 95 machines kicking around somewhere. Then the ME, 2000 era began with XP swiftly replacing ME while staying close with 2000!

I couldn't help trying out that real old version of IE seen as an option on the page there!woot.pngbiggrin.png

e66597c7a75ff1d587ec348421ab0d88.jpg

Edited by Night Hawk

bump: anyone need an old browser?

I never knew you could open Windows Forums on a Windows 3.1 :P<br>

I had to see if that version of IE worked off of the site there or not! laugh.png

Its just a well crafted site, there is no "windows running" it would have to boot dos first. then go there, it is just a crafted site, nothing major

Windows itself is a gui application loaded into ram. The site there provides the look and feel of the early version without access to anything else being totally web based. That's an emulated environment just like another Windows4all site. which unfortunately saw some hard times apparently. "Project was closed." http://windows4all.codeplex.com/

I heard of this on a Swedish magasine earlier :P

Alot of work has been put into this I can tell!

Here is another one: www.therestartpage.com

I have seen that before....... Win3.1 is kinda of confusing!!

Edited by Dude111

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0