Does Windows XP Support Sata 3 6GB/sec

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Tristan

Tristan

• Registered
  • 1 posts
Just wondering if there is SATA 3 support for Windows XP before I decide to purchase a SSD. I'd need a Windows XP Marvell Sata 3 controller driver no? Have a great day guys.

Night Hawk

Night Hawk

WindowsForums Administration

• Administrators
  • 8,141 posts
Hello Tristan Wecome to the WindowsForums!

The one thing that might be a large help here would be the make and model board you are running. The manufacturer's support site or chipset manufacturer's site would be the two best places to look to see if any XP controller drivers were written for that particular model.

If the board is too new being an AM3 or I5, I7 model you might need to use a generic driver set in order to have the XP installer detect a Sata III drive. An SP3 XP installation disk could also be a large help as well.

t71qir.jpg

NOTICE: To All New Arrivals - WF Welcome Center - Community Rules

(avatar courtesy of TheBull - WF affiliate CreativX)

Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

Not Here!

• Veteran
  • 2,170 posts
Hello Tristan, :welcome: to WindowsForums, glad to have you aboard.

Windows XP does not natively support SATA drives, you would have to get and install the SATA drivers in order for XP to recognize the drives.
If your motherboard does not support SATA drives, you would then have to get a SATA Controller PCI expansion card, which usually includes the installation CD (drivers)

Here's a couple places to look for SATA cards, the most popular and trouble free are Silicon Image;

http://www.amazon.co...llers&x=14&y=19

http://www.directron.com/satcon.html

http://www.tigerdire...A%20Controllers

Night Hawk

Night Hawk

WindowsForums Administration

• Administrators
  • 8,141 posts
The controller is certainly one option to consider especially if the board lacks Sata III ports. On boards where both II + III ports are seen the best use is storage since the III ports are seen as Ports #5 + #6 or #7 or #8.

Some of the latest model boards however now see Sata III only. One thing to know however is that Sata III and SSD drives are two totally separate items as a rule. An SSD works much like what you would see with a usb flash drive without use of the usb bus.

They can be a performance enhancement to some extent due to the newer technology. For seeing XP installed on an SSD you may want to look over one guide for this seen at Installing Microsoft Windows XP on an Eee PC 701 4G

Note the 4G refers to one of the early model SSDs seen there. But some of the methods may be a help. Many opt to slipstream sata controller drivers for their board or use nLite to simply things over the need of a separate driver disk. That would be another thing to include here.

Another place for a look is seen at Installing Windows XP on a Tablet PC with an SSD Drive The part you will want pay the most attention to is "The Missing SATA Driver" and of course "no floppy drive"! The drawback of updated machines and portables these days for the 10yr. old Windows.

The Missing SATA Driver
Pop in the XP CD, start the setup and there is the first problem: XP does not recognize SATA ! The way around it is to provide a SATA driver on a floppy during the setup. Not USB, not CD or DVD - it must be floppy. Emulating floppy with USB drive did not work. I did not see a floppy drive for many years and my laptop did not come with one. What now?

The solution is to "slipstream" the driver using the nLite – the Windows installation customizer. (Check out their guides and forums for detailed guidance.) You also need to download the SATA driver from your computer manufacturer site. In my case, this was the Toshiba RAID driver. During the preparation of the nLite install, you provide the location of the unzipped driver, which gets integrated ("slipstreamed") into the XP. Next you should create an ISO image and burn it on a CD.

t71qir.jpg

NOTICE: To All New Arrivals - WF Welcome Center - Community Rules

(avatar courtesy of TheBull - WF affiliate CreativX)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users