Help with installing Windows XP 64-bit

Windows XP 64-bit Install Rebooting loop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Darth Infinitas

Darth Infinitas

• Registered
  • 2 posts
This is a very complicated story so I expect this to be a big post.

About a year or two ago, Wal-Mart had a sale on a laptop for like $100. It was an Aspire 5251-1513. My parents thought I would need it for college so I got it, even though I didn't think I would need it. I knew for $100 it wouldn't be that fast, but it came with Windows 7 64-bit which I believe was less than a year old at the time, if I'm not mistaken. I quickly found out that I didn't need it for school after all. Since then it has sat in my living room and been used for little more than watching movies through the HDMI port on my TV.

It has always been slow, but recently, it has started getting even slower. It takes a couple of seconds to open the start menu. It came with a whole bunch of junk programs when I first got it, most of which couldn't be removed because I "don't have permission" to delete them. I could have gone through and given myself permission but since there were so many other things that could be causing it, I decided it would be easier to reinstall windows as I didn't have anything that needed to be backed up on it.

I also looked the specs for the hardware, and since they barely met the recommended requirements for 7 I decided to downgrade to XP. I had never had any issues with XP when I used to use it, and the minimum requirements were 5 times less than 7. I also already had a copy of XP 64-bit that my grandfather had given me a while back that I had never used. Well, since Microsoft doesn't like it when you downgrade, I couldn't just stick the CD it and click install. I had to wipe the hard drive and reinstall it from scratch.

Normally, this isn't a problem. I've done it before for friends who got tired of Vista. But I had a terrible run of bad luck this time. I used killdisk to wipe the drive and put in the install CD. After the installer finished loading the drivers, it immediately crashed. I googled the problem and found out that the installer couldn't find the drive because of the BIOS settings. I went into the BIOS and found out that I had the very first revision. They have had about 20 updates since then. The version I had wouldn't let me change any settings other then the system time and the boot order. I went to acer's website to get the latest version and it turns out, it can only be flashed through Windows, which was already gone. Since I couldn't install Windows without a better BIOS, and couldn't update the BIOS without windows, the only thing I could think of was to put my laptop hard drive into my desktop and install it through there.

After quite a bit of effort I got it installed. I then moved the laptop hard drive back to the laptop and put my desktop back together. Then my desktop stopped booting up. Since that issue is unrelated, suffice it to say I got it working. I then tried to boot up my laptop. It got to the "Windows XP 64-bit" loading screen. After it sits there for a few seconds, the blue screen of death flashes up so fast that I can't see anything other than blue and a blur of text. Then it reboots itself and repeats. I tried booting in safe mode and from the XP CD, but nothing changed.

Between the formatting, installing, troubleshooting, disassembling, and reassembling, I have wasted 3 days on this project. I can't put Windows 7 back on since neither of my two computers actually came with a disk, and even if I did, I wouldn't have accomplished anything. XP boots up fine if I put the HDD into my desktop, but since the whole point is to get it working in my laptop there is no point in doing it without a plan.

I Googled the problem but couldn't find anything that even sounded like this, so any sugestions?

Night Hawk

Night Hawk

WindowsForums Administration

• Administrators
  • 8,148 posts
Actually the system requirements versus W7 in use can be two different things at times. For the 32bit XP I found that a memory increase between two old builds from 1gb to 2gb of memory going from a single core cpu to a newer board with a dual core made a large difference pertaining to the increase in ram for the older version.

For a troublesome preinstalled OEM copy of Windows a better option rather then going backwards to XP Pro x64 which sadly lacked any real driver support would have been using a utililty provided by the manufacturer at their support site if not included with the prepackaged "trial wares" as well would be creating a recovery dvd if the laptop lacked the key combination programmed into the bios for a factory restore.

Another method for seeing a clean install of 7 would simply be borrowing a friend's 7 dvd of the same edition x64 and using the OEM product key found on the attached sticker. You eliminate the bloat wares while still running the 64bit 7. Some however have managed to work things out for the 2005 XP Pro x64 by using Windows Server 2003 x64 drivers to get by with.

One of the main problems typically seen for XP would be installing a fresh copy of Windows to a sata drive not ide hard drive now very much a standard item seen for any desktop or laptop. The old version lacked the generic drivers for sata drives and often required a driver floppy on all too many old boards.

The problem being seen with the desktop after you installed the laptop's drive there is simply the mbr or Master Boot Record entries being changed to XP's. You now need to repair the boot information on the original host.boot drive to see that Windows installation load up normally again.

Since both desktop and laptop came with 7 preinstalled the solution for seeing the 7 mbr corrected on the desktop would be downloading the repair tools cd iso file or borrowing a 7 dvd to boot up live from to run the Startup Repair tool or open up the command prompt option. The fast method is the Startup Repair tool when booting live from a repair cd that can be created while booted in 7 in the Control Panel>Backup & Restore section or Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs

If you are not able to burn the iso image to a blank cd-r for lack of a burner or blank disk for this the comman prompt option on the repair cd or a 7 dvd when booted live allows you to manually enter three different commands. The "Fixboot" and "Fixmbr" commands will still work with or...

Instructions

Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD and boot from your DVD drive. You may have to change the boot order through system BIOS to boot from your DVD.

Choose your default "Language," "Time" and "Keyboard Input" on the first window and click "Next."

Click on the "Repair Your Computer" option to gain access to the System Recovery window. Now choose "Command Prompt" to run the Bootsect.exe utility. Bootsect is located inside the boot folder so change your directory to boot. Now run "bootsect /nt60 C:\" (without quotes) if you had Windows 7 initially installed in the C partition. Alternatively, you can run "bootsect /nt60 SYS" or "bootsect /nt60 ALL" (without quotes) to repair the system partition or all partitions. Eject the DVD and restart your computer. Your computer should now boot Windows 7 again.

How to Repair the MBR on Windows 7

t71qir.jpg

NOTICE: To All New Arrivals - WF Welcome Center - Community Rules

(avatar courtesy of TheBull - WF affiliate CreativX)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users