Hidden folders

- - - - - content.IE5

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

moloko58

moloko58

• Registered
  • 5 posts
Hi, when downloading a leaflet, the system defaulted to a folder that I had not seen before, but where some other missing downloads seem to have been saved. When I looked at the root it went back to an "AppData" folder off my own name folder, in a "Libraires" folder off the "Desktop", but when I tried to find this folder again, or any of the others that were housed in there, it was not visible. The route went AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/1Q7Z0Q2E, and then the pdfs in that last folder. Why are these hidden, and how can I get them visible?

Night Hawk

Night Hawk

WindowsForums Administration

• Administrators
  • 8,148 posts
Hello moloko58 Welcome to WF!

The first thing I take care of here when performing any clean install of Windows regardless of which version is to open up a Windows Explorer windows or go into the Control Panel>Folder options to change view settings as far as what types of files and folders are made viewable by unchecking the "hiden files and folders" box as well as the one for "files with known extensions" in order to see all system protected files and folders.

For sub folders under your user account those often remain invisible or unaccessible by any WE window due to the built in system administrator being in charge until you take ownership over them to allow access. This protects user files from unauthorized access by other users or malwares.

There are two methods for taking ownership over any particular file or folder you want to view as long as you are logged into the user admin account on the particular machine.

1) The manual method starting with the right click to bring up the properties screen and go through several steps to elevate permissions for that account. [Guide] How to Take Ownership (Permission) of a File or Folder Manually in Windows?

2) A reg mod that adds the TakeOwnership option to the right click menu on 7 as well as Vista and even XP the reg mod works well. Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista

Most prefer the second option for a simple right click and watch as the reg mod opens a command prompts lasting only seconds to change permissions automatically over the manual approach. I use it here when wanting to open up any folder marked as protected by Windows to see just what is placed in there.

As far as downloads each browser generally has default locations where they go to or you can set that to ask where each time and then select the folder yourself. With IE 9 the task bar appears with options for run, save, and save to where you choose which drive, partiton, folder to download to. FireFox and the 64bit flavor WaterFox as well as Opera have the ask each time and close download window when complete options.

t71qir.jpg

NOTICE: To All New Arrivals - WF Welcome Center - Community Rules

(avatar courtesy of TheBull - WF affiliate CreativX)

moloko58

moloko58

• Registered
  • 5 posts
Well, its a start thanks.

I have gone down the right click route, as the folder I needed access to did not have 'properties' on the right click menu. After downloading the reg hack, I took ownership of a lot of files it seems, but still can't take ownership of the folder in question. Consequently, there are folders in there that I still can't see. I have tried to save a new folder with the same name 'AppData' and I get the usual reminder that there is already a folder in there with that name, do I want to overwrite, which of course I don't so I come out of there. So, the folder is in there somewhere.

I have not got around to checking where files are downloaded to, but there is a download folder on 7 that most end up in automatically, its just that there are a half dozen or so in this hidden folder for some reason.

moloko58

moloko58

• Registered
  • 5 posts
Sorry, forgot to mention that when I open control panel there is not a folder option, which I can see would be the best way to tackle this.

my apologies, yes there is and I am now making progress!

moloko58

moloko58

• Registered
  • 5 posts
So, got so far down the chain and came across another hidden file that despite all the changes refuses to expose itself to me! I got into AppData (although partially 'greyed out')>Local>Microsoft>Windows but then the folder which I know is there called "Temporary Internet Files" stays out of sight. I have tried saving a new folder with the same name and got the usual message about another file called that being there, so its there somewhere. What now?

Night Hawk

Night Hawk

WindowsForums Administration

• Administrators
  • 8,148 posts
If you want a non Windows solution simply boot live from a ubuntu, Knoppix(dvd only), Linux Mint(dvd only), Puppy live cd and mount your C drive there. You can access anything on the MS primary without any Windows lock out.

Just a word of caution about trying to duplicate folders under your user account sub directories. Don't! Instead create a new temp folder like a main folder with a name like "C:\Temp\" where you can create any number of sub folders for anything you copy out of the user account sub folders or from anywhere else including new downloads you can direct to specific location. Have a sub named "downloads" there.

The idea behind using the other OS while booted live from disk is that this is also an effective method for data recovery when you are not able to boot into Windows even in safe mode to get at files you may need before any repair or full drive wipe takes place. Without any Windows processes loaded you also bypass the System Adminstrator which hides protected files and folders or denies access to them.

Once booted live you can move or copy select files and folders to a new location. For anything but loose files under your user account you can move loose files but only copy the folders since those are protected from tampering. You will also be able to see and open any folders present without prompts for needing more permissions.

Here I kept a live stick or two on a belt holder in case someone ends up trashing their Windows desktop or laptop with a new bug. Lately I have been cleaning off more laptops as well as desktops besides rebuilding a few older machines with hardware problems where people needed family photos and other things rescued from a drive that still works.

Another option available but takes a bit more effort then necessary would be placing the drive itself in an external usb enclosure and plugging that in on another machine just to view and copy those other downloads. The live cd or live usb flash drive however is a good thing to have onhand for those other times when nothing else is working!

t71qir.jpg

NOTICE: To All New Arrivals - WF Welcome Center - Community Rules

(avatar courtesy of TheBull - WF affiliate CreativX)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users