GameX

Is Windows 2K even installable on my laptop?

24 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've been trying this for a moment, now. Just for curiosity, I've checked if installing Windows 2K / 2000 would be even possible on my laptop (I love the older OS for some reason. Curiosity. I've tested so many different Windows versions, this is ridiculous).

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-e420.aspx#specs

I've got Linux Ubuntu x64, Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP x86 installed (I already had the x64 version, but removed it). They all work great.

I was wondering if Windows 2000 would even install - so I booted from the CD. I get the screen where Windows is loading the files, and then just before the option to press "Enter to Install, or R to Repair", I get a Blue Screen of Death, with the error code INNACESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

The problem also exists on Windows XP, since installing it on a SATA drive would cause the setup to crash. The workaround was to install a SCSI driver from a floppy drive at the beggining of the setup, or start the BIOS in "Compatibility mode" then install the SATA driver later in the GUI - which I did.

I've tried booting Windows 2000 setup in Compatibilty Mode, but I keep getting the BlueScreen.

Assuming I manage to install the OS, I plan on trying to install the Windows XP drivers. Maybe I'll be surprised - maybe that'll work, who knows? Come to think of it, I'll save about 4 or 5GB of space, if I install 2K over XP, since I only use XP for games (I don't play games more modern than 2004-2005. Everything work). On my (quite small) 320GB hard drive, 3 OS, that's a lot of space that shouldn't be wasted.

I don't own an external floppy drive, however. What I've tried so far was creating a floppy image from the official Windows XP SATA driver from Lenovo (Apparently not supported on Windows 2K). I've started the installation of Windows 2K in a virtual machine, pressing F6 and loading the SATA driver from the floppy image. Sadly, I can't continue - "The driver appear to be damaged or invalid". Guess that really just work on Windows XP ?

That's kind of problematic. I've thought about installing Windows 2K on a USB stick - which is FAT32 - so that Windows could install, I don't know. Recently, I've heard about Plop VHD Loader, which apparently allow you to boot your computer from Virtual Hard Disk VHD file (WOW. You serious? Finally found the right software that allow this?). It require a primary FAT32 partition, however. I haven't tested the program.

I've also found a SATA driver which is apparently "generic". From what I understand, it should work on any configuration..

Is there any way to install Windows 2K, or should I consider that the process is impossible?

Thanks!

You first have to consider running 2000 on either a VM or a pc emulator I will be looking over here called Boch's That's an open source program that allows you to run just about any OS on a virtual platform which can then allow you to run any old programs, games on the virtual side while the older version is loaded.

2pqopqo.jpg

You will need a bootable media source however! A bootable iso image if not bootable cd for that oldie is then loaded as the new VM is created.

The two main drawbacks with 2000 at this late date as far as seeing a physical install to disk besides not having seen any new support for a few years now is that you won't find drivers for a laptop that came with XP being the newer version supported as well as the 127gb limitation as well as first primary required. That was one of the main drawbacks seen with the older versions there.

I imagine you wouldn't be planning out any 250gb primary for that on a 320gb or larger drive either. But you should be away of some of the drawbacks mainly device drivers. Again that depends on the age of the laptop itself. If it was old enough it may have seen some 2000 support if it came out when XP was first out and not later.

Thanks for your support!

I'm looking for a way to boot the OS from the bootloader, not starting another OS to start 2000 later on. I don't know if that's possible, and that's what make me curious (Yeah, that's odd). The laptop was released in march 2011, so it came with Windows 7. Oddly enough, there's only one driver that is officially supported on Windows 2K, and that's hotkey display. I'll be trying the drivers for Windows XP and check if these install properly, who know.

You will need a bootable media source however! A bootable iso image if not bootable cd for that oldie is then loaded as the new VM is created.

What do you mean, exactly?

Sorry, I'm French.

Thanks again!

The Virtual Machine options provided by programs like the Oracle VirtualBox or VM Ware's Free VM Player would be good for creating a 2000 VM sine that would be stored on the drive as a file. VMs are any OS custom installed to a Virtual Machine's virtual hard drive which can be fixed in size or left expandable. When expandable that VHD will automatically grow in size when adding more programs on.

For setting up a dual boot with 7 in order to be able to add a boot entry into 7's BCD store you could possibly get 2000 on a VHD(Virtual Hard Disk) that would allow editing the boot configuration. That would be a file stored on the drive as well only be added as a boot option. You'll find the newer Alpha and Beta type builds for Windows 8 saw a VM install option to be able to run on 7 as a dual boot since from XP to new the newer versions offer far more VM support however!

The old versions have trouble even XP too installing on sata drives even being able to see them let alone install onto even an old Sata I model. Everything back then was either PATA(EIDE) or SCSI for storage for network and server type setup often in Raid arrays. This will become the largest obstacle overall even more then simply running without device drivers available for things like video and sound. On a VM however the host OS's resources are shared allowing for both correct displays and sound included making that a better option.

The Virtual Machine options provided by programs like the Oracle VirtualBox or VM Ware's Free VM Player would be good for creating a 2000 VM sine that would be stored on the drive as a file. VMs are any OS custom installed to a Virtual Machine's virtual hard drive which can be fixed in size or left expandable. When expandable that VHD will automatically grow in size when adding more programs on.

For setting up a dual boot with 7 in order to be able to add a boot entry into 7's BCD store you could possibly get 2000 on a VHD(Virtual Hard Disk) that would allow editing the boot configuration. That would be a file stored on the drive as well only be added as a boot option. You'll find the newer Alpha and Beta type builds for Windows 8 saw a VM install option to be able to run on 7 as a dual boot since from XP to new the newer versions offer far more VM support however!

The old versions have trouble even XP too installing on sata drives even being able to see them let alone install onto even an old Sata I model. Everything back then was either PATA(EIDE) or SCSI for storage for network and server type setup often in Raid arrays. This will become the largest obstacle overall even more then simply running without device drivers available for things like video and sound. On a VM however the host OS's resources are shared allowing for both correct displays and sound included making that a better option.

Thanks;

I know about VM, these are seriously awesome for testing multiple OS.

Hey, good news! I've heard about a software called nLite, which allowed me to customize my Windows 2K setup, and directly add the SATA driver to the CD-ROM. So I've tried packing the official Lenovo SATA Driver (Only on Windows XP. Officially "unsupported" on Windows 2000), and tested. Already tried the process on a VM with a virtual floppy, got the error "Corrupted file". Same thing go for the driver packed to the CD-ROM.

Then I've heard about a generic "universal" SATA/AHCI driver for Windows 2K here: http://alter.org.ua/soft/win/uni_ata/

I've downloaded the driver, then packed it on the CD (a bootable CD-RW). I've setted the BIOS in AHCI mode, knowing that Windows 2K would recognize and "try" to load the AHCI driver automaticly. I then got... the same "INNACESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" blue screen.

Then I've tried one last thing, setting my BIOS mode to "Compatibility". As I stated earlier, setting the BIOS mode to "Compatibility" without adding any driver on the CD cause the same BSOD. So I started the 2000 CD-ROM again. 2000 loaded the driver, black screen with blinking cursor.

(Oh, for sure, that's going to crash. Sure thing.)

Man, the installation is starting! :O I've reached the first installation screen, with the "Install", "Repair", and "Quit" options! NEVER expected that!

Well, that's a really good start! :O

I'll try the installation in a small partition a soon as possible (Guess I should backup an OS somewhere, in case 2000 destroy Windows 7... Usually, I trust Windows 2000, but on such a modern machine..) . I'll let you know about how it goes.

I've only noticed a Blue Screen when exiting the setup, after the screen "Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds.". The error is DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I've read about the error here: http://www.geekstogo...-state-failure/

For now, that's not much of an issue. At least, I can start the installation!

If the installation is succesful, I'll try the drivers for Windows XP. And if these don't work, guess I'll check for others drivers on differents /olders Lenovo Thinkpad laptops that got official 2000 drivers. Who know, the official sound driver for Windows XP x64 provided by Lenovo isn't even installing (...). I've tried a random Intel Sound driver and.. that worked!

Maybe I'll be lucky (Maybe not).

Windows 2K... You're a quite old, but intelligent OS, but please don't do anything stupid (So far, you never did). :)

(I am aware this will break my Windows XP / 7 and GRUB bootloaders. Already know how to restore them all, I've done it a bunch of times.)

Edited by GameX

Sorrry, I can't edit my previous post, apparently.

So, Windows 2K detect my hard disk - I took a while, I was sure the OS simply wasn't capable of detecting it. The only "issue" is that although the partitions are listed, this isn't perfect; the primary boot partition used by Windows 7 being "SYSTEM_DRV" is detected (It's NTFS). As for my 200 GB Windows 7 partition, it is listed as "damaged" and has no label. I guess that's because Windows 2K got natively a limit of hard disk space. I know there's a workaround to fix it, assuming the SP4 (Included on the CD) doesn't fix it already. Anyways, I'm going to install it on a 1.5 GB partition, first.

As for the extended and logical partitions (Windows XP in NTFS and Linux Ubuntu in EXT2), there are listed as "Unpartitionned space". Well, I'm not too sure about XP, although. For sure, the Linux partitions are listed as free space (Windows XP setup would list test as "Unknow" instead). As for the Lenovo Recovery partition (Came with my laptop, it's NTFS), it does not display a label, but it is somewhat detected as a recovery partition.

Sure thing, I'll be doing a backup first!!

That look like a good start, but in that case, I've got to be as much careful as possible.

2000 had a 127gb barrier to deal with and XP saw a 137gb barrier of the same type until SP1 was out. You can't expect to be seeing ready access to the larger partitions if you are able to get up and running.

The likely best solution if that laptop allows for a second hard drive(ide not sata proivded the optical is ide that is which is usually swapped out) would be to add a smaller drive in for 2000 and hopefully find substitute drivers for the chipset and other controller drivers? Too new is the term and the 64bit XP drivers certainly wouldn't work on the 32bit WIndows let alone the 32bit 2000.

Two entirely different platforms to start with. The 64bit Windows emulates the 32bit environment to allow 32bit programs to install and run at present since the bulk of softwares on the market are still x86 based overall with many seeing a 64bit as well as 32bit version.

I've been hearing about a way to see a 98SE/7 dual boot but haven't bothered to look into that more since. The only reason for 98 at this late date would be running a few old legacy games that still run on the 64bit 7 except for one like Duke3D since the enDuke emulator found only allows you finish the first game map and crashed instantly right when entering the second. The emulator was likely written with the 32bit not 64bit Windows in mind there.

As for the VLite program that was written for 2000, XP whiel VLite is the updated form for seeing a stripped down OS go on. The Windows you end up with is more like hte Windows CE(Compact Edition) and won't do much of anything. Made the mistake of buying a Sylvania smart book for a gift to be able to get someone online again until his desktop is running again and the form of IE is utterly useless and some have managed to add a new boot loader via SD Card to run a Linux distro off the memory card since these lack boot options due to having the OS flashed on an EProm type chip.

Now for the best recommendation the obvious with all that you have going on the laptop now already seeing 3 OSs the best and easiest move would be running 2000 on a VM which would overcome all of the hardware as well as driver problems. With some of the VM programs you also share host resources to some extent like sound as well as access to optical drives and even the usb bus.

For any further attempts at getting 2000 on the main drive if you have an external drive used for storage/backup you could use an imaging program to grab a snapshop of the triple you have now in case that gets trashed. With a full system image backup tucked away on another drive you could restore the main drive. WD nad Seagate offer a free version of the Acronis True Image Disk Director suite at each of their support sites which does a great job of not only creating but compressing images down in size. Here's the links for those two.

For Western Digital, Acronis True Image WD Edition Software and for Seagate's version which they rebranded to DiscWizard, DiscWizard Getting Started

This would have generally been advised as the first step before attempting to make any changes to the present layout on the drive. But now you may want to consider having a disaster recovery plan of some type since especially with the older versions of Windows that first primary is what Windows will be looking for as a rule as well as the sata controller driver issues you have been running into. You can easily find yourself caught between a rock and a hard place over the faster easier VM solutions if you simply want to see 2000 running without complications.

Sadly, my laptop won't support a second hard drive;

I already have a working Windows 2000 VM - especially about the older OS, I'm really curious, and installing 2000 on the main hard drive is a personnal challenge. Just wondering if the OS could work with a really installation, that's a challenge.

Two entirely different platforms to start with. The 64bit Windows emulates the 32bit environment to allow 32bit programs to install and run at present since the bulk of softwares on the market are still x86 based overall with many seeing a 64bit as well as 32bit version.

I was referring to the drivers provided by Lenovo, on my laptop: acutally, Lenovo provide drivers for Windows XP x86 on my laptop, and they work perfectly. But about the XP x64 drivers provided by Lenovo, that's not the same thing - they provide a video and a graphic driver for Windows XP x64, and the official drivers wouldn't even install (On XP x64, of course). I've had to install a random Intel driver, to get it to work.

So perhaps I'll manage to find a working driver for 2000 - I'll look for 2000 compatible drivers, on older Lenovo Thinkpad computer (Assuming the XP drivers for my laptop won't work under 2000).

For any further attempts at getting 2000 on the main drive if you have an external drive used for storage/backup you could use an imaging program to grab a snapshop of the triple you have now in case that gets trashed. With a full system image backup tucked away on another drive you could restore the main drive. WD nad Seagate offer a free version of the Acronis True Image Disk Director suite at each of their support sites which does a great job of not only creating but compressing images down in size. Here's the links for those two.

Sure, I'm going to take a complete backup/copy of my entire disk, before installing anything! The only thing I've did now was to create a blank primary NTFS partition for 2000 - Pretty much at the beggining of the disk I've got a 1.5GB boot partition for Windows 7, then I've created a 2GB partition for 2000 next. The next partition is my 200GB Windows 7 primary partition.

I was hoping 2000 would recognize the second 2GB NTFS partition, but it's still listed as "Unformatted or damaged", even if the partition isn't located over the 128GB barrrier - what I mean is that the first partition on the disk (The 1.5 boot partition for Windows 7, called "SYSTEM_DRV") is detected, and isn't listed as damaged or whatsover. I find it odd that the second partition, created for 2000, is listed as damaged, it's only 2GB.

Well, I'll continue to check for the 128GB barrier patch - I know I must add a registry key later, but I've got to find the way to make it work on the setup. Pretty sure that's possible.

Great!

My disk is now listed as a 300GB, and all the partitions (Except Linux - these are listed as "Unknows", normal) are detected proprely, with the correct names!

The workaround is to download this file: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/75713-48-bit-lba-on-win2k-setup/

And replace the original file on the CD-ROM, in the i386 folder. That did the trick!

Windows 2000 support bigger disks if SP3 or SP4 is installed - a registry key should later be added.

Of course, it was necessary for me to find the patch, since I needed all my partitions to be detected at the setup.

Doing a full backup soon! :D

I'll let you know how it goes.

The later service packs for 2000 only then started addressing the larger capacity drives just coming out at the time ilke 120gb, 140gb Maxtors, 160s, 250gb model only just coming out. As far as any 2tb volume that was after XP's SP2 after the 1tb capacity was reached and would have to have some type of workaround for that. The Server 2000, 2003 platforms would be more likely to have better support however for the larger volumes to start with.

I have to wonder if any form of the WAIK(Windows Automatic Installation Kit) would even allow you to see 2000 custom fitted onto a good sized usb flash drive. This started with the VirtualBox Portable for seeing a 7 VM run on a flash drive and now there's a method made simple for seeing Windows 8 have a direct install of a somewhat limited reduced form however to see the latest made portable. Generally the old versions still lacked the adequate usb support while that would be a project to consider without any effect on the main drive.

The 2gb primary for 2000 is a bit on the small side and could cause problems as far as the paging file. That would be the only real concern since 2000 wasn't that much larger then 9x or ME back then. XP grew some and then Vista even further until MS realized Windows was getting too big and worked out the MinWin for 7. 8 on the other hand is now not much more then a Tablet gui tossed on a stripped down to the core almost version there.

I know I wouldn't mind getting 98 running on a drive again but it wouldn't recognise any sound card made for the last 10yrs. in order to work with much on it! Hopefully you will be able to work out something for 2000 at least. Make the system image anyways! 046.gif

Ok!

I took the full image, only Windows 7 took about 7 hours to take. XD That's all backed up!

So I finally installed 2000 on the blank NTFS primary partition. The first part of the setup completed without any problem. I was really surprised when I saw that the installer haven't crashed while arriving at the graphical setup! :O :D

I've got only one error message during the setup - I've noted it somewhere, it was about usbhub.sys. Some kind of driver issue, most probably. Luckilly, the error wasn't fatal and haven't prevented the installation from working. The setup completed succesfully.

I later realise that Windows 2000 didn't even deleted GRUB, cool - easy to restore, but less fun to reconfigure all the entries..

Then I start 2000. Waow, the bootscreen! :D Then boom, blue screen. :(

I was wondering is the BSOD wasn't caused by the "usbhub.sys" error shown. So I went to the "D:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers" folder on my Windows XP installation, copied the file "usbhub.sys", and replaced the original file on Windows 2000 partition.

Never expected that, but that was enough, Windows 2000 is now booting! :O :D

Well, I've counted and strangely, it takes 3 minutes and a half to reach the Desktop.. The boot screen load extremely fast (Never saw anything that fast, even in a VM), but as soon as the GUI appear (640x480 16 colors, of course..), reaching the Dekstop take 3 minutes and a half..

What work? Disk access. I can access all my Windows partitions without any problem, since the 128GB limit is fixed. What doesn't?

The USB drives and CD-ROM drive aren't even detected, not a good sign. In device manager, USB is listed as non-working, and CD-ROM is absent.

I should also mention that the system is very fragile. It seems that Windows 2K realize that I've modified the file "usbhub.sys", and he actually restore the file to his original state, causing a BlueScrren again. I have to restore the file many times.

Also, when I try to install drivers, the system is very likely to fail to boot at next reboot. I've took a working image of Windows 2K after installation, so that's OK, but annoying a little.

The common BlueScreen display error 0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Seems related to the file "uniata.sys". According to the name, I strongly believe it is the generic SATA driver I've install.

But generally, I can fix the problem by replacing the "usbhub.sys" file, or booting in safe mode (Does not always work).

I've tested the official Lenovo drivers for Windows XP. Most of these won't even start - some do, and they install proprely, but no apparent change to the O.S. I should probably install more critical drivers first, but I can't find them.

Most importantly, I should find a generic/universal video driver for Windows 2K.. Any idea where I could get a working one?

Thanks!

Not offhand on the video driver since you may or may not even find one. By the description the most likely problem you are running into besides the usb bus support driver issue is the lack of chipset drivers for things like memory, ide, and other controllers that would go right onto an XP or newer version. Plus you still have to face the hardwares too new problem to a point.

At least you have made some progress after all of this. But be careful not to count chickens before they hatch in concerns to how far you will be able to go. I have the strongest feeling you may not end up with a fully functional 2000 install there. You still have to be prepared for that type of setback. The 3min. load time isn't surprising at all while the super fast logo screen load is not any surprise considering what hardwares 2000 ran on originally compared to what any relatively new pc would be like at this time.

If the optical drive is sata not ide that would explain why that isn't showing up at all since you are lacking the 2000 compatible drivers for the Sata/Raid controllers. You would need to find the substitutes if any that would make that work. And the usb driver problem will effect the entire usb bus including anything usb like flash drives. You are running on an obstacle course with many bumps.

That is well said; after all, I did made a small progress! I was not even expecting the system to install, I was sure that was impossible.. Anyway, first question is resolved, the system is installable. Now, is it usable for a typical usage (No Solitaire. :P) ? 16 colors suck ! XD

Here's a screenshot of 2000 running: https://www.dropbox....16 23.34.01.jpg

Not offhand on the video driver since you may or may not even find one. By the description the most likely problem you are running into besides the usb bus support driver issue is the lack of chipset drivers for things like memory, ide, and other controllers that would go right onto an XP or newer version. Plus you still have to face the hardwares too new problem to a point.

Yup, I might get unlucky or not. My best bet probably are the generic/universal drivers availible, I have to find some. A friend of mine will leave me a CD full of drivers, we'll see how it goes.

I have the strongest feeling you may not end up with a fully functional 2000 install there. You still have to be prepared for that type of setback.

Probably. The goal is to get the minimum, being video display, sound and CD-ROM (Playing games without CD-ROM? Of course, there's VirtualClone Drive, but what a waste of disk space!). USB would be a life-saver, too (Rebooting on XP to copy the drivers, switch from Compatibility to SATA mode, test driver one by one drive me nuts! XD).

Internet access for instance, is not required.

If the optical drive is sata not ide that would explain why that isn't showing up at all since you are lacking the 2000 compatible drivers for the Sata/Raid controllers.

Yes, it's a SATA. I was expecting the CD-ROM to be detected, since the detecting probably was fine after the first part of the setup. The CD-ROM was detected, and listed as G: in the graphical installation.

When I've tried to install Windows 98 on my P4, it was in february. I gave up for a while, getting too many BSOD, then on july, finally managed to get the OS to work - was only because the RAM was over 512 MB... The glitches were only because of that.

Maybe the same thing will happen with 2000. Couldn't get it to work now, but will 6 months later?

Maybe not...! :P

Edited by GameX

98's 512mb barrier was easily overcome by editing the autoexec.bat file or the system.ini to raise up the x386 enh figure to at least 30000. I used the autoexec.bat edit while booted from a dos floppy back then on a 768mb and later 1gb and 2gb XP systems until newer boards no longer saw 98 drivers available plus forget about the newer sound cards!

Back in 2009 while tested 7 on VMs I grabbed a screen of the XP Mode(XP Pro there), XP Home, ubuntu, and 98SE all running at the same time on VBox. The problem was giving the XP Mode and XP Home too much ram for the 4gb system resulting in an "out of resources" crash. The present build solved that one fast first seeing 8gb and then onwards to the 16gb max. I can drop 8gb on any VM while it would never need it. Or I can open multiple VMs each having 2gb assigned.

You wouldn't be worried too much about 2000 Pro however with the service packs on. 2000 Pro was 4gb being reduced by the 32bit kernel down to about 3.12gb with the rest being mapped out to hardwares similar to what XP saw. The Win 2k server 4gb as well while the advanced server goes upward to 8gb and Datacenter server 32gb. You can find out the memory limits for any version at the MSDN Library page seen at Memory Limits for Windows Releases

I kind of wish I had dual booted 2000 Pro along with 98 in years past but have simply done a lot more on the 64bit 7 then ever first thought. I still haven't had a chance to work up anything with the Boch's program quite yet which should be interesting to take a look at. Generally you wouldn't expect to see much of any gaming where there's any type of demand on graphics since only lately the newer versions are now seeing 256mb rather then only 128mb previously seen for shared memory type video.

Then maybe I could get that old Duke Nukem 3D to run longer then the first game level only before crashing! Already tried it that out with EDuke32 and every time the second level loads crash city. 310.gif

Tested different drivers.. Still getting random crashes. When I'm trying to reinstall the O.S., I can't really get past the second BlueScreen, told in my previous post, for some reason. Guess I was a bit lucky - I have an image which I keep restoring. Just too bad the image wasn't saved at the very first moment after the installation. It manage to get corrupt somehow, if I don't turn off faulty USB drivers.

Well, I'll continue to look. I'll probably won't reply much, but I'll let you know if I manage to make something work - maybe that'll take 2 weeks, or 4 months!

May take even longer being that it may simply be best to run 2000 on a VM and call it a day due to the fact that the hardwares are simply too new. That would be for that particular make and model laptop you have that is.

Got an old Dell 98 machine here that needs a Dell keyboard for it since those old Dells lacked a standard PS/2 connector having a smaller size instead as well as not supporting usb keyboards. Other then that the old boat is still in mint condition! CRT and all else! Likely sees a 180w to 230w supply in it at best.

Hey! CD-ROM is now detected! :O :D

The only thing I did was to install Update Rollup 1 - altought I do have the SP4 preinstalled, haven't installed the Update Rollup. The installation was necessary to test a "Windows 2000 apparently compatible" Intel HD Family driver, which is similar to my graphic card - the driver won't start.

I rebooted, and WOW, CD-ROM is detected! :O

That's a really good thing, since I plan on using 2000 to play games (Nothing newer than 2004 or so, everything work), without having to keep a bigger Windows XP installation - it's also a personnal challenge, as I already told you.

You imagine playing games.. without CD-ROM? No thanks, I do not plan on filling my hard drive with ISO files!

Great, USB still won't work (Not essential. Just would be extremely useful for copying drivers), but that's another important issue solved. The SCSI CD-ROM problem was kind of scary, never thought I would be able to fix this problem.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I have this feeling I get BSOD less often, now that Update Rollup 1 is installed.

I would appreciate to obtain all the remaining updates for Windows 2K after SP4, but I can't find them (Even tougher, I need them in French, or they won't even install, wrong language..).

That last part may be the hardest for you. You would need to find a French site similar to Softpedia that not only has a regular pc news section but maintains updates for various OSs. You might find the English version of the update off of their main driver page when opening up the Windows tab just in case they still have 2000 drivers archived. Drivers Home

Glad to hear you are getting a little further with it! 050.gif I would have thought 98 or ME would have been a better choice as far as the gaming aspect however due to being Fat based with 98 being a 16bit Windows there. Once you got by the 512mb issue you would still need an old, old sound card however! Once Creative started the X-Fi series as well as some other newer model lines 98 was history!

As far as the BSODs you have been seeing the memory dump file would point out some of where the actual problem(s) are originating. If you can grab a few of those you can use the BlueScreenView program to get some idea when running that on 7. I doubt it would go on 2000 while it will on XP.

Here I set up a temp folder inside another temp folder and set that as the default location rather then in the Windows directory's Minidump folder there. That helps when you go to look at dump files from other machines.

Found something interesting.

I've burned on a CD-RW another customized Windows 2K installation, this time containing the Update Rollup 1, a USB driver by Microsoft (Which won't work, by a normal installation, after the setup), and the official Lenovo video driver for Windows XP, unsupported on 2000. By installing the INF file (Running the video driver setup cause an error), the driver does appear listed in "Graphic card" in the Device Manager, but it's listed as non-working. I was wondering if slipstreaming the driver on the CD would make it work, but no.

However, slipstreaming the Update Rollup 1 was a good choice - I've found out that with the Update Rollup 1 slipstrem, I do not get any "usbhub20.sys" error during setup, and no BSOD at all at system startup.

That would confirm I'm pretty much done with random BSOD on Windows 2000 startup! My CD-ROM is still detected as usual, but USB won't work.

Well, that's good to know - no more error at the setup.

Taking a new image of Windows 2K installed, with the Update Rollup 1 installed, in case I need it.

When advising a system image note that was before trying to add 2000 on in case of any mishaps. It never hurts having a few onhand however! :)

As far as slipstreaming the driver you have there that would be pointless since it will sit on the drive and not do anything as you have already seen from finding it listed but not working. That particular driver file may have been written for desktop use where a separate expansion card is in use. Besides usb that seems to be the one more other problem that will be a concern for you there.

Back in 2004-05 I had to dump 98SE as being the second OS when the new board(s) as well as newer model sound and video card alike no longer saw 98 drivers available. With support for 2000 dropped back in 2010 along with XP SP2. Support end dates for Windows Vista, XP SP2, Windows 2000: Mark your calendars

I can imagine you are relieved at no longer seeing the usbhub20.sys error!You sitll will continue to have usb problems mostly due to how things were with the older versions which included 2000 along with the Legacy verisons.

Hi Night Hawk,

I know I'm really late ( :P ), but I just want to tell, in the end, I never managed to get any further than that ( XD ), besides all my ressearches.

I've tried a ton of differents drivers, but that won't work. I've even installed an English version, fully updated, and applied the unofficial Service Pack 5.1 and Update Rollups, no luck.

Just saying. Well, at least, I got it installed!

It's basically useless, and sit on my hard drive using 5GB of space, but since the last fix I did (With applying the Update Rollup 2), it does not "commit suicide".

Anyways, even with working drivers, I would not have benefits of running Windows 2000, native or virtual (Except if you want to save space, comparing it to a Windows XP installation). I've got all my Windows games running on Linux ( :D ).

Well, I've tried!

Well that's all you can do besides trying out the open source virtual app Bochs which not only runs an older version or OS on a VM but also allows the OS to install hardware drivers! This is something different from VirtualBox or VM Player to look at. While you were away I came across the sourceforge page there while looking around for other vm wares to try out.

The other option of course was running 2000 on a VHD or virtual hard disk as a second OS while the VHD is stored locally on the C drive as a file rather then chewing drive space having a separate partition. You would still end rather limited due to the age as far as what you could run anyways except older Legacy titles perhaps with some 98-XP compatible titles also running. For some old titles like Duke3D there is the enDuke emulator that seems to have problems on the 64bit OS side however when tried on 7.

Ok I am bumping this for you at this time. GameX Just remember the instructions I gave you and see if you are still having any problems posting a reply at this since the updates were applied.